Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Best Meal in Town

"And again Jesus spoke to them in parables, saying,'The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son, and sent his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding feast, but they would not come. Again he sent other servants, saying, 'Tell those who are invited, See, I have prepared my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves have been slaughtered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding feast.' But they paid no attention . . . Then he said to his servants, 'The wedding feast is ready, but those invited were not worthy. Go therefore to the main roads and invite to the wedding feast as many as you find.' And those servants went out into the roads and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good. So the wedding hall was filled with guests." Matthew 22:1-10 (ESV)

One of the privileges of serving on my church's Session is the opportunity to hand out communion on a weekly basis. It never gets old to me. A few Sundays ago, as the elders were preparing to come forward to return the trays to the pastor, I looked down to see all of the cups that were still remaining in the tray that I was carrying. I was struck with sadness considering the thought that there were many, at that very moment, finishing up brunch or sitting down for lunch all over my town. They had passed up this table, forgone the invite to dine with the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords, to partake of a food that would fill their stomachs for only a little while. Is this not truly a tragedy?

May we pray that Christ would call out all his elect and, in doing so, there would be no cups left remaining.

Grace and Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home