Tuesday, December 27, 2005

A Theology of the Practical (Part 2)

Sometimes I worry about just where my denomination, the Presbyterian Church in America ("PCA"), is going. In the latest email update of By Faith Online, the PCA's web magazine, a link was included to an online survey the results of which are to be published sometime in the near future. The survey inquired, "In your opinion, how important are each of the following characteristics to the PCA's future health? Evangelism, Mercy Ministry, Redeeming Culture, Creation Stewardship, Being Winsome, Other (Please list in comments field)."

How did the surveyors come up with these "characteristics" to evaluate, and what does this tell us about their perception of the PCA? Are these the measures of a true church? I thought to myself, what if the Westminster divines had created a survey, what might they have included in evaluating the health of a church? Perhaps they would use different measurements such as the following: Is the Word rightly preached?; Are the sacraments properly administered?; Is church discipline correctly applied?; How is the duty of prayer undertaken? Is this different from what the Apostles taught? Does not faith come by hearing? Should not mercy flow from knowing you have received much mercy?

What would you ask in your survey?

2 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, December 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I too was troubled about the survey: not that there was a survey, but what the content revealed about the leadership of ByFaith.

Recently I had lunch with a theologically conservative PCUSA pastor who was trying to recruit me. (He was, by the way, theologically sharp, personally gentle, and professionally respectful.) I voiced the usual concerns about ordination, etc., and to my horror he reached down to his briefcase under the table and whipped out the recent copy of ByFaith, laid it on the table, and said, "I don't see that there's that much difference, or at least there won't be in the next 10 years."

 
At 11:19 AM, January 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post! When I received the survey I checked twice to make sure it was really from my denomination. I'm embarrassed to say I took the survey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home