Monday, April 10, 2006

Any Given Sunday

For a little over a year I have had the privilege of teaching the college Sunday school class at my church. We have a small, but great group of kids who are eager to learn more about the Christian faith from a reformed perspective. A good number of the students are athletes that play for one of our local universities (a historically Baptist institution). While I have noticed their passion for sports, their passion for corporate worship, on the Lord's Day, is also striking.

Unfortunately, it appears to be a growing trend for collegiate scheduled practices and games to fall on Sunday. When I was in college, back in the early '90's, this did not seem to be much of an issue except for the professional teams. Now days, however, it appears to be the rule. I have seen how these young athletes have suffered persecution and pressure from coaches and peers if Sunday games or practices were even questioned.

It doesn't stop there. Even more troubling is that I have also observed how Sunday play and practice is filtering down to children playing sports. And for the most part, the parents of these children I know, do not even flinch. It just seems to be a given. Although I would not consider myself a strict Sabbatarian, I fear that we are losing, if we have not already lost, any sense as Sunday being set aside as the "Lord's Day." The loss of the Sabbath, coupled with our society'’s fanatical view of sports, is trying the faith of more and more believers. Did Eric Liddell see this day coming?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home