Thursday, July 27, 2006

I See More

Despite horrible reviews, my wife and I went to see the Lady in the Water the other night. My wife's movie standard is, if it gets bad reviews, we might like it and vice versa. Accordingly, we both thought it was great!

The following morning I read some more reviews of the movie to see why I had such poor taste in films. I ran across a review from Steven Rea of the Philadelphia Inquirer entitled "Lady in the Water: I see Wet People." It was, as you may have guessed, another diatribe on how big an idiot director M. Night Shyamalan really is. Rea concludes his review with the declaration, "I see wet people."

Rea's review got me thinking. Why is it that some see and others do not? Why is it that some are prompted to fall on their knees in repentance after hearing the preached Word, while others remain unaffected? How come some find great hope in reading the Word, while others see only myths and fairy tales? Are some people just smarter than others?

I think that the Westminster Confession of Faith summarizes the biblical answer quiet nicely as follows:
"We may be moved and induced by the testimony of the Church to an high and reverend esteem of the Holy Scripture. And the heavenliness of the matter, the efficacy of the doctrine, the majesty of the style, the consent of all the parts, the scope of the whole (which is, to give all glory to God), the full discovery it makes of the only way of man's salvation, the many other incomparable excellencies, and the entire perfection thereof, are arguments whereby it doth abundantly evidence itself to be the Word of God: yet notwithstanding, our full persuasion and assurance of the infallible truth and divine authority thereof, is from the inward work of the Holy Spirit bearing witness by and with the Word in our hearts." [Emphasis added] Chapter I - V.
It is, of course, nothing less than the working of the Holy Spirit. May many more eyes be opened through the preaching and reading of the Word.

I see more. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home