Thursday, August 10, 2006

God of Promise -- Horton on Israel

I finished reading God of Promise by Michael Horton a few weeks ago and I thought I would share some of my thoughts on his work over several post. I welcome your comments.

Horton on Israel

Horton attempts to take a middle position between replacement theology or supercessionism and the notion of two peoples with two distinct plans of salvation.


"The church does not replace Israel. . .despite its [Israel'’s] national judgment as a covenant-breaker, is nevertheless kept alive by extensive pruning and grafting at the level of individual salvation through Christ. After bringing in the full number of elect Gentiles, God will pour out his Spirit on the Jewish people en massse (Rom. 11:25-32)." P. 132.

I am not sure that I agree with Horton's view on Romans 11. However, perhaps it would be better to describe the church as the maturing Israel rather than replacement of it. This may be somewhat similar to the view that covenant baptism does not replace circumcision but is the maturing sign of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home