Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Prone to Wander


"What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost' Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance." Luke 15:4-7 (ESV)

Before we left town Friday evening, my wife and I spent forty-five (45) minutes looking for her cell phone. After turning our house and cars inside out, and calling the phone about a dozen times, it was nowhere to be found. Finally, we just gave up. While traveling back last Sunday we had the opportunity to worship at New Life Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Tifton, Georgia. While the pastor read the passage above, I was convicted of getting so angry and frustrated over not being able to find the cell phone. However, unlike myself, I was reminded that God does not give up on his sheep.
". . .Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above."
See Come, Thou Fount of Every blessing by Robert Robinson. Although my wicked heart is prone to wander, I am thankful of a good shepherd who does not give up on me. A good shepherd that laid his life down for me to make sure I get home.

P.S. We found the phone in my wife's suitcase. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home