Thursday, August 10, 2006

God of Promise - Hebrews 6

I use to lose a lot of sleep over Hebrews 6. Could I fall away? If I did, could I ever be restored? Even approaching it from a Charles Stanley once saved always saved position, I still could not truly understand the passage. It was not until I came to believe in covenant theology that this enigma, like so many others, was answered.
"[A]ll of those who belong to the covenant of grace may be said to participate in the semi-eschatological life, even those who fall away, but they are in a worse position than those outside the covenant, for they are those 'who have once been enlightened [baptized], who have tasted the heavenly gift [the Eucharist], and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come' (Heb. 6:4-5)." God of Promise (2006) P.152.
Although some theologians view this passage as a hypothetical, I tend to agree with Horton. Hebrews 6 is addressing the covenant child who has received all the benefits thereof, yet does not have a circumcised heart. Thus, while scripture gives us great hope that the covenant child is elect, this is not always the case. That is, being in covenant does not equal being elect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home